When it comes to footwear, a poor fit can cramp your style and your focus. An incorrect shoe size can not only have a negative impact on your feet and back; it can also put a damper on your activities. Luckily, finding your foot size is a simple process.
HOW TO MEASURE YOUR SHOE SIZE
There are a handful of ways to find your foot measurement. You can get it done professionally by a podiatrist, use a Brannock device at our store or even measure from home.
When measuring your shoe size at home, you’ll need the following items:
- Two pieces of paper larger than your foot
- Writing utensil
Before taking your measurement, put on the socks you plan on wearing with your shoes. If you’re finding a size for hiking boots, you may want thicker socks than if you’re measuring for running shoes. It’s also recommended to wait until the end of the day, when your foot is at its widest point.
1. Tape the paper on the floor with one end against a wall. It’s important that it doesn’t slip so that you’re able to get the proper measurement.
2. Plant one foot on the paper with your heel against the wall.
3. Trace the outline of your foot. It’s easiest to have someone help you with this step. Try not to hold the pencil at an angle, as that can cause an improper measurement.
4. Using your ruler, measure the longest and widest parts of your outline.
5. Repeat with your other foot.
Take down your measurements in both inches and centimeters. Charts may vary in the units used. When comparing your results with a shoe size chart, you’ll want to use the measurement of your larger foot.